Todd Bowles‘ first stint as a head coach with the Jets didn’t go terribly well. But it was much better than his replacement, Adam Gase, and Bowles is once again thriving as a defensive coordinator with the Buccaneers. If he can keep it up and Tampa Bay ends the 2020 season as Super Bowl champions, it could put the shine back on Bowles as a potential head coaching candidate.
“He’s a great, great coach and an incredibly smart man,” an NFC offensive coach said via Fansided’s Matt Lombardo. “Think about what we know now, Todd navigated that whole Jets mess. Let’s also call it what it is, this is going to be the year of the minority candidate, as it should be, so that’s going to help Todd in January, too. But, he’s a hell of a football coach and exactly the type of candidate a team should want to get themselves in front of when they get a chance.”
- Buccaneers TE Rob Gronkowski said he hasn’t thought about if he’ll play another season in 2021: “I’m just taking it one season at a time…I really having thought about anything beyond this season…I’ll wait to future to think about that…” (Rick Stroud)
- Buccaneers QB Tom Brady said he’s been compelled to take WR Antonio Brown under his wing the same way he had other players do for him: “A lot of people weren’t born with the same advantages I’ve had…I want to see other guys succeed.” (Stroud)
- Brady added he wants to do a better job of involving WR Mike Evans in the offense: “I wish I could get him the ball more…we got to be effective, we got to be efficient, we got to continue to trust each other…” (Stroud)
- Jason Butt of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says there’s about an 85 percent chance the Falcons don’t trade DE Takk McKinley because they haven’t gotten great offers.
- Per Nick Underhill, Saints HC Sean Payton said the timeline for WR Emmanuel Sanders to come off the COVID-19 list keeps changing and he doesn’t know when he’ll be back: “I don’t know but I’m not gonna give you an answer anyway.”
- Saints WR Michael Thomas (ankle/hamstring) also did not practice Wednesday. (Tom Pelissero)
- Saints activated DB Ken Crawley from the COVID-19 list. (NFLTR)
- Saints designated LB Chase Hansen to return from injured reserve.