- Free agent OL R.J. Mattes has been suspended for four games. (Aaron Wilson)
- CB Champ Bailey has been ruled out of Thursday’s game. (Mike Klis)
- TE Joel Dreessen has been ruled out for Thursday game. (Mike Klis)
- The Broncos are expected to use a running back by committee for the “foreseeable future.” (FOX Sports)
- Rookie RB Stepfan Taylor will handle team’s short-yardage and goal-line situations this weekend. (Mike Jurecki)
- The Jets announced that rookie QB Geno Smith will start Week 1 game against the Buccaneers.
- QB Mark Sanchez is expected to miss at least the first two weeks of the season. (New York Post)
- QB Matt Simms will backup Geno Smith against the Buccaneers.
- TE Kellen Winslow is expected to skip Wednesday practices this season. (ESPN.com)
- RB Mike Goodson has agreed to reduce his base salary from $1 million to $715,000. (Tom Pelissero)
- The Packers have rookie Eddie Lacy listed as their starting RB. (Rob Demovsky)
- CB Casey Hayward has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the 49ers. (Jason Wilde)
- Panthers reached injury settlements with WR Joe Adams, DT Frank Kearse and S Haruki Nakamura. (Joe Person)
- Ravens placed TE Dennis Pitta on injured reserve/designated for return.
- DE Cliff Avril returned to practice on Wednesday. (Eric Williams)
- HC Mike Tomlin mentioned that RB Le’Veon Bell being ruled out of Week 1 was because of missed practice time and not his foot injury. (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
- FS Ed Reed is “very doubtful” to play in Monday night’s game against the Chargers. (Jason La Canfora)
- Rookie OL David Quessenberry broke his foot during Wednesday’s practice and will miss the entire season. (John McClain)
- Texans cut Mike Mohamed from practice squad and sign Nate Menkin to practice squad. (Aaron Wilson)