“It was certainly surprising,” Anderson’s source said. “[The Bills] often indicated that they wanted [C.J. Spiller] back, but obviously they value Shady McCoy more than C.J.”
Regarding how they think Spiller took the news:
“He’s alright. We’ve been discussing maybe it’s kind of time to look elsewhere other than Buffalo. But he is a loyal kid, so in the back of his heart-of-hearts he thought maybe I can go back and be a part of this Rex Ryan regime. He has some sense of loyalty to the fact that [the Bills] drafted him 9th overall, but a lot has changed since he’s been there. So for us, maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. He’s still processing the personal part.”
- Barry Jackson reports that the Dolphins have left defensive tackles Jared Odrick and Randy Starks in limbo while they consider potential free agent acquisitions like Ndamukong Suh, Terrance Knighton, Corey Peters and Tom Johnson.
- According to Jackson, the Dolphins want to keep restricted free agent DE Derrick Shelby with a moderate to high draft tender.
- They’ve reportedly conveyed interest in re-signing restricted free agent LB Jonathan Freeny as well, but they won’t tender CB R.J. Stanford an offer.
- Jackson adds that Miami is also interested retaining exclusive rights free agents S Jordan Kovacs and S Michael Thomas.
- Michael Schottey reports that the Eagles would have cut RB LeSean McCoy, and were just calling around to find “anything” in return for him.
- According to Schottey, the Bills only took 20 minutes to say yes.
The Bills were expected to have interest in Harris even before Alonso was trade. However, they’re now left with an obvious whole to fill at linebacker, which could lead to Rex Ryan making a push for him former player.
Cimini adds that this could force the Jets to offer Harris even more in terms of salary, as they can’t afford to lose him in free agency.
- Even though the Bills informed RB C.J. Spiller that he won’t be back with the team next year, Cimini doesn’t expect the Jets to target him in free agency.