- According to Matt Miller of B/R, scouts say Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is expected to be drafted high in the 2017 NFL Draft and could potentially be a second-round pick despite having “significant red flags” for off-the-field incidents including the one that resulted in a full-season suspension in 2014.
- Miller mentions that Mixon is regarded as the “best prospect” in the Big12 Conference.
- According to Mike Rodak of ESPN, the Bills have opened competition at starting cornerback after benching CB Ronald Darby in Week 9’s Monday night game.
- Rodak mentions that CB Corey White split first-team duties during Monday’s practice.
- Bills worked out C Dalton Freeman, C Marcus Henry, and G Michael Liedtke on Monday. Buffalo signed Freeman to their practice squad. (Adam Caplan)
- Browns executive Sashi Brown said third-round QB Cody Kessler could become the team’s long-term quarterback but he still needs to go through a developmental process. However, Brown mentioned the team will continue to try and improve at the position. (Scott Petrak)
- Regarding the state of the team, Brown was not able to say whether there is tension between Cleveland’s front office and the coaching staff. (Nate Ulrich)
- As for Browns HC Hue Jackson‘s job security, Brown said he is “safe regardless of record” and that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam expected a rough first year for Jackson. (Scott Petrak)
- Furthermore, Brown is not concerned that Haslam will choose to terminate him after one season and that he will be allowed to, “carry out the plan.” (Nate Ulrich)
- Brown went on to say that QB Robert Griffin III (shoulder) looks on pace to be ready to play “later” this year but it will be up to Jackson if he returns to the active roster. (Scott Petrak)
- Beyond that, Brown admitted that he knew the quarterback position would be a “major challenge” for the team’s roster but believes that team is on the “right course.” (Scott Petrak)
- Brown said he does not regret trading the team’s No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, saying that he likes the players and draft picks they acquired. (Scott Petrak)
- According to Jon Machota, although the Cowboys are pleased with the progress sixth-round TE Rico Gathers has made on the practice squad, it is unlikely for him to be promoted to the 53-man roster this season.
- Cowboys HC Jason Garrett said TE Geoff Swaim will undergo surgery this week to repair a torn pectoral. (Brandon George)
- Garrett went on to say the team has discussed signing another tight end since TE James Hanna (knee, PUP) is not expected to return from injury “any time soon.” (Jon Machota)
- According to Tom Pelissero, the Rams’ staff said DE Robert Quinn “admitted himself to the hospital this morning with a non-football related illness,” and is in stable condition at this time.
- Redskins HC Jay Gruden said C Kory Lichtensteiger (calf) and first-round WR Josh Doctson (Achilles) are both potential options to come off injured reserve. (Master Tesfatsion)
- For what it’s worth, Gruden said Doctson was walking without a protective boot on Monday.
- Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said he will talk with GM Rick Spielman regarding their options at kicker but would not indicate whether this would be a move to replace K Blair Walsh. (Chris Tomasson)
- Zimmer also said he has “no idea” if RB Adrian Peterson (knee) will return off their injured reserve to play this season. (Chris Tomasson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!