Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports spoke to two NFL evaluators who believe Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is “too talented” to go undrafted despite his off-the-field concerns, including a domestic violence dispute.
“He’s the third-best running back in the draft,” said the NFC scout. “Someone is going to take him. He’ll be off a lot of [draft] boards, but he’s too talented to fall out of the draft. Someone will take him.”
One scout graded Mixon behind LSU’s Leonard Fournette and Florida State’s Dalvin Cook, while another talent evaluator could see the Seahawks or Chiefs taking a chance on him.
“There are only a few of them with [leeway] to take that risk,” said another NFC scout. “Seattle has a history with [Frank Clark]. I could see the Seahawks taking a chance on him. Kansas City is another one – Tyreek Hill, [Marcus] Peters, [Justin] Houston were some guys with some different [red flags] in the draft. That’s three stars – a lot of success taking chances.”
- The Chicago Bears announced that they’ve hired three assistant coaches on Thursday including Curtis Modkins as RBs coach, Jeremiah Washburn as their OL coach, and Roy Anderson as assistant DBs coach.
- Additionally, Chicago did not renew OLBs coach Clint Hurtt‘s contract.
- Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune could see assistant ST coach Richard Hightower signing with the 49ers since he previously worked with soon-to-be HC Kyle Shanahan.
- Adam Caplan reports the Jaguars are hiring Tony Sparano Jr. as their assistant OL coach.
Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf issued a statement regarding the Raiders filing for relocation to Las Vegas, saying that the city has identified financing possibilities and still hopes the NFL gives them “a chance to compete.”
“It’s no surprise that the Raiders have filed for relocation,” said Schaaf, via Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk. “Oakland welcomes the chance to show them and the NFL’s other owners why Oakland is the only home for the Raiders and always will be. Our winning team of the Lott Group, the County and my colleagues on the Oakland City Council has accomplished so much in the last few months. We’ve identified the mechanisms to responsibly finance public infrastructure improvements, we have in the Lott Group a private partner prepared to finance stadium construction, and we have an entitled site for a world-class NFL stadium and new development that enhances fan experience while invigorating East Oakland’s economy.
“But this isn’t all Oakland has to offer. Oakland’s Raiders stadium will be on the most transit-accessible site in the nation, in the sixth largest television market, and in one of the wealthiest and most innovative regions in the world. But above all else, Oakland has something no other city ever will — a die-hard fan base that is loyal and true to the Raiders and wants to see them stay here in Oakland where they were founded. Only Oakland brings the Raiders and the NFL a competitive stadium proposal, along with legacy and loyalty.
“I look forward to the League giving our team a chance to compete.”
- Raiders RT Austin Howard announced on social media that he underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum and shoulder cuff on Wednesday.