Update:
The Houston Texans officially announced the released of veteran WR Andre Johnson.
โAfter exhausting all options of a possible trade, we informed Andre Johnson that he would be released today,โ Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Rick Smith said. โNo player in the history of this franchise has represented the team, city and community in a more professional way. Andre is a Hall of Fame caliber player and we appreciate his years of service and contributions to our team.โ
โโโ-
ESPNโs Adam Schefter reports that the Texans have officially released WR Andre Johnson.
- Dianna Marie Russini reported earlier in the day that the Texans would be releasing Johnson Monday.
- Russini added that Johnson apparently didnโt have any trade partners, which is why heโs being released.
Reports surfaced a few weeks ago that Johnson was either going to be released or traded, but it was unlikely that any team was going to give up a lot in return for a player thatโs likely to be cut in the coming weeks.
For what itโs worth, a recent report said that the Colts and Johnson have mutual interest.
Johnson, 33, had two years remaining on his seven-year, $62.7 million contract, which includes $48 million guaranteed. He would have made base salaries of $10.5 million and $11 million over the final two years of the agreement.
The Texans will free up $8.825 million next year and another $12 million in 2016 by releasing him, according to OverTheCap.comโs calculator.
In 2014, Johnson has caught 85 passes for 936 yards receiving and three touchdowns over the course of 15 games. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 40 receiver out of 110 qualifying players.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on X.com and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!