“Having Corey in the room it helps us out, but at the same time, now that he’s not here, we have to move past it,” Landry said, via Cleveland.com. “We have to move on. We can’t dwell on losing a guy so, I don’t see it having any effect on the team.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Browns worked through the process regarding WR Josh Gordon’s status and determined they do not need to make a roster move to ensure he gets an accrued season. Instead, the Browns will keep Gordon on the did not report list because there’s an exception that allows a player who fails to report due illness or hardship to still accrue a year towards free agency.
- Browns HC Hue Jackson made it clear that Duke Johnson will not be changing positions and playing receiver for them: “Let me make this clear, Duke’s position will not change. That is first and foremost. Will Duke get the opportunity to go out there as a back in our packages and play receiver? Yes, he will. Duke is a very vital part of what we do on offense. He has to continue to learn the system and get better. He will. He has been a playmaker ever since I have been here. He will continue to do that.”
Colts QB Andrew Luck admitted that there times where he wondered if he would ever be able to play football again.
“There were one or two moments where I wondered if I am ever going to be able to do this again,” Luck said, via ESPN.com. “Certainly this [preseason opener] isn’t what I’ve been working toward the whole time, but sort of in the same vein it is another step in this journey and one that is sort of about the next one right now. That’s really exciting and that’s fun.”
“I probably struggle hiding how I feel at times,” Luck added. “Whether that’s a positive or negative thing, whatever. I think I’m happier with myself. The crux of the matter [is that] I think that really allows me to enjoy football and it does feel like a game to me instead of a job or a profession. I don’t want to ever lose that feeling. I sort of get it when you hear guys in their late 30s and 40s, and they’re talking about it’s like playing a kid’s game. I think I semi-understand what they feel in their hearts now.”
- Colts HC Frank Reich mentioned that T.Y. Hilton and Ryan Grant “have really separated themselves” up to this point as the team’s top-two receivers. (Indianapolis Star)
- Mike Wells of ESPN mentions that Colts TE Erik Swoope is having a strong training camp and with the team’s depth at tight end, it would not be surprising if the team made him available for trade in the coming weeks.
- Mike DiRocco writes that the Jaguars are unlikely to re-sign DE Dante Fowler Jr next year, which could lead to the team at least listening to trade offers for him before this year’s deadline.
- As of now, Fowler is currently on the PUP list with a shoulder injury and is suspended for the first game of the season, so it could be tough to move him until later on in the year.
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin mentioned that expects WR Antonio Brown (quad) to return to practice after the first preseason game. (Jeremy Fowler)