- Albert Breer believes that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam may have to reconsider the direction of the team’s front office and hire a “football czar” like Peyton Manning.
- Breer mentions that Haslam has a “very close relationship” with Manning and could be an option as a front office executive.
- While Breer says Haslam’s “intention” is to give HC Hue Jackson and the front office “three to four years” to get the franchise stabilized, the team’s best option could be to sign a football mind like Manning if coaching and scouting aren’t set up the correct way.
Former HC Rex Ryan said he wanted to acquire QB Tyrod Taylor from the Ravens while he was the coach of the Jets.
“I wanted Tyrod Taylor when I was with the Jets,” said Ryan, via Rich Cimini of ESPN.
Ryan finally got the opportunity to coach Taylor after he was hired by the Bills. According to Ryan, he was the one who in the Bills organization who wanted to start Taylor over EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel.
“They wouldn’t trade him to us,” Ryan said. “I was the only one who really wanted that kid. When I had a chance to get him in Buffalo, I did. He was brought in to be the third guy, and I said, ‘Bulls—, he’s better than both these guys.’ And he is. The kid is a good player.”
- Jeff Howe reports that the Patriots “made and received calls” regarding trading OT Cameron Fleming ahead of the recent deadline, but no deal ever materialized.
- Titans HC Mike Mularkey said first-round WR Corey Davis (hamstring) “should” start Week 9’s game. (Terry McCormick)
- According to Howard Balzer, the Tennessee Titans worked out free agent WR Mekale McKay on Tuesday.