Home Broncos AFC West Notes: Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders
- On Monday, Broncos HC Vance Joseph said he’s not concerned about his future and is instead focused on Monday’s game and the players and staff. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- As for the report that John Elway considered replacing him with Mike Shanahan last year, Joseph said: “That’s the least of my concerns. People have written much worse things about me. … I’m not concerned about an article.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Joseph added that he isn’t uncomfortable with the news: “No it didn’t make me uncomfortable. I’m a competitor. But I get it. It’s about winning football games. It’s not my job to hire or fire me. I’m just going to work. As far as that report last year it didn’t move me at all.’’ (Mike Klis)
- According to Mike Klis, the Broncos HC Vance Joseph will get the opportunity to finish out the season.
- Klis adds that former Broncos HC Mike Shanahan will not be among candidates for Denver’s job if/when the team conducts a head coaching search after the season.
- As for the possibility of Kevin Hogan stepping in for Case Keenum, Joseph said: “If Case’s misses snaps he would. But not if Case is healthy. Case is the quarterback.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Broncos OLB Shane Ray said it was “disrespectful” to learn late in the week that he would be inactive. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said Monday that TE Hunter Henry may do some work on the side in some individual drills this week, but there’s still no official timetable for his return. (Eric Williams)
- Chargers DT Brandon Mebane returned to practice this week after missing the past month to deal with the hospitalization of his daughter Makenna, who’s in prenatal intensive care in Omaha due to a heart condition. (Eric Williams)
- Eric Williams reports that Chargers LB Kyzir White (knee) is unlikely to be activated from injured reserve, despite being eligible to return.
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid announced Monday that CB Kendall Fuller underwent surgery on his hand, but said it’s a short-term issue: “There’s a good chance he has an opportunity to play in the game coming up here.” (Brooke Pryor)
- According to Reid, both WR Sammy Watkins and OL Cam Erving are making progress. (Brooke Pryor)
- As for RB Spencer Ware, Reid said he’s making progress from his hamstring and is considered day to day. (Brooke Pryor)
- According to Michael Gehlken, the Raiders are “very hopeful” that G Kelechi Osemele (toe) will return in 2018.
- Raiders G Gabe Jackson is dealing with a “significant” left elbow injury. Jackson made the trip to Cincinnati, but was ruled out after a pregame workout.
- Jon Gruden said that OT Donald Penn wants to play again this season: “Donald is wide open. He wants to play. How many linemen are you going to have up? There is a chance he could be up this week. We’ll address that here in the next couple of days. There’s a clock, you know, when you get a guy off injured reserve, you have a couple of weeks to look at him and our clock is about to expire. So we’ll talk to (head trainer) Rod Martin, we’ll talk to Donald and we’ll put our heads together and determine that here in the next 48 hours.” (Paul Gutierrez)
- Raiders CB Gareon Conley is in the concussion protocol.