Here’s a running list of rumors related to the Lions head coaching search.
- Tim Twentymen of DetroitLions.com writes that the talk of Ken Whisenhunt being the favorite for the Lions job was just “media speculation.” (Update: 8:46 pm)
- According to Twentymen, Jim Caldwell “looks to be the top choice right now. ” (Update: 8:46 pm)
- Adam Caplan mentions that former Ohio State HC Jim Tressel could join Jim Caldwell’s offensive staff should he get the Lions head coaching job. (Update: 7:00 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions were impressed with how Jim Caldwell worked with QB Matthew Stafford. (Update: 5:52 pm)
- Rapoport adds that sources believe Jim Caldwell has the edge. (Update: 5:52 pm)
- Chris Mortensen reports that Ravens OC Jim Caldwell has emerged as a favorite for the Lions job with Mike Munchak still an option. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport adds that the Lions may turn to Mike Munchak as their new head coach after he had an “outstanding” interview with the team a few days ago. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Former Colts HC Tony Dungy has been offering his support for Jim Caldwell to get the Lions job,via ESPN.com. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Adam Schefter adds that former Texans HC Gary Kubiak is still an option for the Lions as well. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- The Lions lost out on Ken Whisenhunt as ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported that he agreed to become the next head coach of the Titans. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions owner sent a private plane to pick Whisenhunt up in San Diego, but Whisenhunt never got on the plane. (Update: 5:23 pm)
- Ian Rapoport is hearing that Mike Munchak’s interview with the Lions was “outstanding.”
- Mike Silver tweets: “Keep an eye on the Lions & Ken Whisenhunt today or tomorrow…”
- According to Silver, Whisenhunt has already had conversations with some Chargers assistants about joining his coaching staff if he gets lands a head coaching job.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt has no interviews scheduled today, but he remains the “clear favorite” for the Lions job.
- Chris McCosky is “hearing” that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt could already be in Detroit meeting with the Lions Monday regarding their head coaching job.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Titans and Ken Whisenhunt have mutual interest as he’s a former Vanderbilt coach.
- Rapoport adds that Whisenhunt is comfortable with the team’s front office and the city of Nashville.
- McCosky mentions that the Whisenhunt’s reported interest in the Titans job “smells of leverage plays by agents.“
- McCosky believes Whisenhunt is still the Lions’ to lose.
We’ll have continuous updates post here as the news is available, so be sure to check back.
- Jason La Canfora notes that the Chargers losing to the Broncos will allow OC Ken Whisenhunt to interview for head coaching jobs.
- According to La Canfora, Whisenhunt landing in Detroit is a “very, very strong probability.”
- Chris Mortensen reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt remains the “odds-on favorite” for the Lions head coaching job.
- However, former Titans HC Mike Munchak “surprised” the Lions with strong interview and Mortensen adds that he shouldn’t be ignored as a possibility.
- Ian Rapoport reports that indications continue to point to Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt being the favorite to land the Lions coaching job.
- Rapoport adds that a deal between Whisenhunt and Detroit could come together fairly quickly depending on what happens with the Chargers on Sunday.
- Whisenhunt has already interviewed with the Browns, Lions and Titans this week.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is scheduled to interview with the Lions Thursday.
- Tim Twentyman reports that the Lions interviewed former Titans HC Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.
- Twentyman adds that Detroit is expected to talk to San Diego OC Ken Whisenhunt later in the week.
- Jennifer Hammond reports that Gary Kubiak interviewed for the Lions head-coaching job on Tuesday. (Update: 5:19 pm)
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press mentions that former Texans HC Gary Kubiak is “one other name to watch” with regards to the Lions job.
- Ed Werder reports that the Lions will interview former Titans HC Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy Friday.
- Ian Rapoport expects Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt to interview at some point this week. (Update: 3:04 pm)
- Bengals OC Jay Gruden mentioned that he is not sure about interviewing with the Lions regarding their head-coaching vacancy, per Dave Birkett. He expects to meet with the Vikings, Titans and Redskins.
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions also have Bengals OC Jay Gruden on their head-coaching “wish list.”
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Lions’ head-coaching job is considered Ken Whisenhunt’s “to lose.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions continue to have “strong interest” in Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- Rapoport adds that it would not be surprising to see OL coach Russ Grimm join him in Detroit. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- 49ers OC Greg Roman is reportedly interested in the Lions job as well, according to Ian Rapoport. (Update: 2:25 pm)
- Pete Thamel reports that the Lions also have interest in Oklahoma HC Bob Stoops, who is reportedly at the top of the Browns coaching candidates list.
- Mike Garafolo reports that Bengals DC Mike Zimmer is generating interest from Lions among other teams and could interview for the job next week. (Update: 5:41 pm)
- Garafolo adds that Zimmer was “off-limits” this week while the Bengals prepare for the Wildcard playoff game.
- Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com mentions that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is the likely favorite for the Lions job.
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions will interview Ravens OC Jim Caldwell on Friday. (Update: 2:14 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions have been making calls to references for Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt.
- Rapoport characterizes the Lions interest in Ken Whisenhunt as being “very strong.”
- Jason La Canfora expects the Lions to target an “offensive-minded coach” and adds that Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is “well positioned” to get the job. (Update: 8:24 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions are “pushing very hard” for an interview with Lovie Smith. (Update: 5:01 pm)
- Rapoport adds that there is a good chance that the two sides will get something set up soon.
- Jason La Canfora mentions that the Lions and Buccaneers are “most likely” to hire Lovie Smith.
- La Canfora adds that Vikings HC Leslie Frazier could join Smith as his defensive coordinator with either team.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that Lovie Smith is expected to interview for the Lions head coaching job at some point.
- Jason La Canfora reports that Seahawks assistant HC Tom Cable “was never a candidate” for the Lions. (Update: 9:43 pm)
- Mark Maske reports that the Lions are “thought to have” interest in Ravens OC Jim Caldwell. (Update: 6:48 pm)
- Adam Schefter reports that the Lions are scheduling an interview with Ravens OC Jim Caldwell. (Update: 9:33 pm)
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press is “hearing” that the Lions have interest in Seahawks assistant HC Tom Cable. (Update: 2:55 pm)
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Lions have yet to make an official request to interview Cable. (Update: 3:28 pm)
- Rapoport adds that the Seahawks view Cable as “their most valuable assistants, if not most valuable.”
- Jason La Canfora expects the Lions to jump all over the opportunity to sign Bill O’Brien as their next head coach if he doesn’t take the Texans job.
- Ian Rapoport adds that GM Martin Mayhew is believed to be “heavily involved” in the next coaching search.
- Penn State HC Bill O’Brien has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Lions job for weeks now.
- 49ers OC Greg Roman, Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt, Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell, Broncos OC Adam Gase and Bengals OC Jay Gruden could also be options as well.