Home / Lions / Dominic Raiola Confirms He Won’t Be Back With Lions Next Year

Dominic Raiola Confirms He Won’t Be Back With Lions Next Year

Update:

Lions veteran C Dominic Raiola Tuesday that the team has told him that they won’t be bringing him back next year.

My contract is up and Lions told me they’re not bringing me back,” Railoa said, per Tim Twentyman. “Obviously disappointed.”

————-

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions have informed veteran C Dominic Raiola that they won’t be re-signing him this offseason.

Raiola said after the season that he was still hoping to be back in Detroit next year, even though there was a possibility of the team moving on without him.

I’m optimistic,” Raiola said. “I think I will be (back), but I’m not going to sit here and tell you I’m not. I still want to play, I still think I have a lot to offer and a lot to offer this locker room. If I could go one more go around, I’d be honored.

Detroit used a third-round pick on Travis Swanson in last year’s draft, so they clearly have a contingency plan in place for the center position.

Raiola, 36, was a second-round pick of the Lions back in 2001 and has started a franchise record 203 career games.

Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 37 center in the league out of 41 qualifying players.