“Getting that flexion back is going to help tremendously — speed, quickness, explosiveness,” Smith said. “I have been feeling great. Everything is about getting back to 100 percent. Every day I am improving.”
Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli explained that they will use more nickel than dime on third downs this year, which means there could be some changes to Smith’s specific role.
“There’s a lot of reps to rotate those guys in,” Marinelli said. “It will be kind of a different role for him a little bit, but Jaylon can do that in a heartbeat, and so can the other guys. But you just don’t want to give him too many things to think about right now.”
- Jimmy Kempski of Philly Voice reports that Eagles DE Derek Barnett underwent sports hernia surgery shortly after the season concluded.
- A source tells Kempski that Barnett is expected to miss six weeks, and the procedure should make that area of his body stronger.
- Rich Tandler says that the Redskins didn’t want to spend big money on a guard, but by doing so, they may have left themselves too weak at the position following the loss of Arie Kouandjio.
- According to Tandler, the Redskins are expected to receive four compensatory picks.
- As of now, Tandler has 20 spots on the Redskins’ defense that he considers to be locks, which would leave around 12 players to compete for just four to six spots this summer.