“We’ve said from the beginning, we want a franchise quarterback around here,” Lynch said, via Eric Branch of SFGate. “And a lot of people are making assumptions as to what Brian’s role is. Is he a bridge — is he all those things? Our response to Brian and to everybody is he’s got the first crack at being that guy. I love the way he’s embracing that opportunity each and every day … I think he’s probably exceeded my expectations for how I thought he could play.”
- 49ers FB Kyle Juszczyk said HC Kyle Shanahan has been focused on utilizing his versatility: “He’s got me involved in a lot of different ways and that fits to my game.” (SiriusXM NFL Radio)
- The agent for CB Tramaine Brock said the 49ers were interested in re-signing his client, despite their public denial: “The 49ers denied it, but they called me the minute [his case] got dismissed and wanted him back.” (Sheil Kapadia)
Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said that if WR John Brown, who has a sickle-cell issue that has impacted the healing process, can’t run after returning from a quad injury, they may have to consider replacing him.
“I don’t have any choice,” Arians said, via AzCardinals.com. “If he can’t run he can’t play. Now, if he can’t run long enough [after he returns], you’ve got to replace him.”
- Seahawks DC Kris Richard said recently acquired CB Tramaine Brock will start out “primarily” at the nickel spot. (Bob Condotta)
- Brock’s agent, Ron Slavin, said he is hopeful that his client will not receive punishment by the NFL for his domestic assault case that was dismissed by police due to lack of evidence. (Bob Condotta)
- Slavin did, however, add that the NFL’s evaluation “just started.”
- Richard added that OLB Dewey McDonald is “likely” to start on the weak side with OLB K.J. Wright (knee) out. (Bob Condotta)
- Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable said Mark Glowinski will start at right guard for this week’s preseason game after Oday Aboushi started last week. (Bob Condotta)
Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer said he would like to refrain from making a final decision regarding the punter and kicker competitions until the preseason is finished.
“I would like to have both punters and both kickers go all the way through to get as many attempts as we can to make sure we’re making the most informed decision with the most data available,” Priefer said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press.
- Chris Tomasson writes that the Vikings could be without LG Alex Boone (left) and LT Riley Reiff (back) for Friday’s preseason game against the Seahawks.