Former Steelers HC Bill Cowher, who had long been rumored to be an option to take over for HC Tom Coughlin, says that the Giants never contacted him about the position.
“You know what? I’ve never shut a door,” Cowher said, via the New York Daily News. “I don’t think you need to shut a door that you don’t need to. I’m very happy at CBS. I love what I’m doing. I’m 58 years old. I feel young. I still feel involved in the game. But this element of the game gives me a life that I was never able to experience before.”
Cowher explained that his current job as an analyst for CBS has plenty of perks.
“I get offseasons,” he said. “I get to do things I wasn’t able to do before. So I’m enjoying it.”
Even so, Cowher didn’t completely rule out a return to the NFL.
“I never say never,” Cowher said. “But I’m very, very satisfied with where I’m at.”
- Shehan Jeyarajah reports that the Bills sent a scout to Baylor’s basketball game on Monday, likely to evaluate PF Rico Gathers.
- Geoff Mosher reports that the Eagles have tabled their search for a personnel chief and aren’t expected to hire until after the NFL draft.
- According to Mosher, the Eagles are looking for a high-ranking senior executive to lead the scouting department and determine the fate of current scouts. However, they opened their search at a time when NFL teams are focused on the pre-draft process and would be reluctant to allow a top personnel executive to leave.
- Mosher mentions that this will mean VP of football operations Howie Roseman will have final say on all of this year’s free-agent signings and draft selections.
- Sources have told Mosher that the Eagles could still face the same challenge of finding a qualified candidate as they did last year when Chip Kelly was trying to replace VP of player personnel Tom Gamble.
- According to Grant Paulsen, the Redskins will be investing in their defensive front throughout offseason in both free agency and the draft.
- Paulsen reported that Washington signed DL Ziggy Hood to a one-year deal on Tuesday, so they’re just beginning this process.