- Rand Getlin of NFL Media reports that the 49ers will not be able to use their franchise or transition tags on G Alex Boone.
- According to Getlin, Boone is likely to be “sought after” in free agency next year.
- The Bears re-signed John Timu to their practice squad after releasing him from the 53-man roster on Tuesday. (Brad Biggs)
Browns HC Mike Pettine told reporters on Wednesday that he “misspoke” regarding CB Joe Haden decision to sit out of Week 4’s game against the Chargers.
“It is unfortunate because Joe is one the faces of our franchise,” Pettine said, via Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland. “Nobody questions his toughness, his leadership and how important the Browns are to him and what being a Cleveland Brown means to him and vice versa.
“I misspoke. Joe wanted to be out there. He wanted to play, but just in his assessment did not want to put the team at risk, knowing that he could not be at the percentage in his heart that he knew he couldn’t get to.”
Haden said he was upset with the reaction from fans and member of the media.
“My biggest thing is, for them to say Joe’s not trying to play, that really hurts because I’ve been in Cleveland a long time and you feel you have to prove yourself over and over, playing through injuries,” Haden said. “…If I’m hurt, I’m hurt. If I can’t go, I can’t go. Hurt is different than injury. I play hurt all the time. But if I’m injured and I feel I’m going to hurt the team, I’m not going to go out there. I don’t want to be out there hurting us. I just tried to get it to the last minute to see if I could be out there.”
- Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports former Patriots defensive tackle Joe Vellano worked out for the Lions today.
- Field Yates of ESPN reports that former Buccaneers K Kyle Brindza was among the kickers to work out for the Saints on Wednesday.