Home / Bears / NFL Notes: Bears, Cowboys, Rams, Redskins, & Saints
NFL Notes: Bears, Cowboys, Rams, Redskins, & Saints
- Michael C. Wright mentions that the Bears appear to have a logjam at outside linebacker that includes Jared Allen, Willie Young, Lamarr Houston and Pernell McPhee. Even so, Wright expects all of them to back and can see the Bears using their top-four pass rushers in sub packages.
- Wright doesn’t rule out the Bears taking a receiver at No. 7 overall.
- Wright points out that Bears director of college scouting Jeff Shiver was on hand to take in Michigan State CB Trae Waynes’ pro day. Wright adds that Waynes could be an option for them at No. 7.
- ESPN’s Todd Archer mentions that there is precedent for the NFL suspending a player without evidence after the league handed down a six-game suspension for QB Ben Roethlisberger back in 2010 in a sexual assault case.
- Because of this, Archer doesn’t anticipate newly acquired DE Greg Hardy playing all 16 games in 2015.
- Archer believes cornerback was among the Cowboys top targets in the draft, even before the signed Hardy.
- Archer writes that it’s unlikely that the situation involving CB Brandon Carr will be resolved before the draft, but grabbing a cornerback would give them some options if Carr refused to take a pay cut.
- Archer doubts DE Anthony Spencer is back in Dallas next year.
- However, Archer mentions that the Cowboys may not be done in free agency, and could consider options at offensive line, safety and cornerback.
- Nick Wagoner of ESPN mentions that the Rams could be rewarded for being patient in regards to some of the available offensive linemen in free agency such as OT Joe Barksdale, G Justin Blalock and C Stefen Wisniewski.
- Wagoner doesn’t think the Rams are actively trying to trade RB Zac Stacy right now, but admits that if a team called them, he wouldn’t be off limits.
- In the end, Stacey would be surprised if the Rams were able to trade Stacy for a draft pick.
- John Keim likes what the Redskins have done in free agency, particularly with their defensive line.
- Keim lists edge rusher, safety, corner, offensive line, running back (later) and receiver (depth) as positions that Washington could target in the draft.
- Keim wouldn’t take a chance on signing restricted free agent S Will Hill.
- According to Keim, if the decision to keep QB Robert Griffin III was up to HC Jay Gruden, he would already be gone.
- Keim adds that RGIII “does not have a ton of supporters on the football side as far as feeling he can become the sort of franchise quarterback they once envisioned.”
- Despite a lot of optimism in recent days about TE Josh Hill being the guy to watch for the Saints next year, ESPN’s Mike Triplett is preaching caution when it comes to his expectations.
- Triplett mentions that the Saints will likely have to create some more cap room to sign their 2015 draft class.
- Triplett views pass-rusher as a position the Saints must consider using one of their two first-round picks on.
- Triplett also lists guard, inside linebacker, cornerback and wide receiver among New Orleans’ draft needs.
Tags Anthony Spencer Brandon Carr Greg Hardy Jared Allen Jay Gruden Joe Barksdale Josh Hill Justin Blalock Lamarr Houston Pernell McPhee Robert Griffin III Stefen Wisniewski Trae Waynes Will Hill Willie Young Zac Stacy