Bills GM Brandon Beane told reporters on Thursday that they’re likely set at the quarterback position now that they traded Cardale Jones to the Chargers for a future late-round pick.
“Right now we’re planning to go with these three,” Beane said, via the Buffalo News. “You never rule anything out. Anything that can help our roster, we’re always looking at, but right now we’re good with three.”
When asked about the possibility of adding free agent QB Colin Kaepernick, Beane said he’s not a consideration.
“Obviously Colin, he’s had great success in the past,” Beane said. “I’ve not looked into him or anything like that. We’ve had plenty of quarterbacks here. I like the mesh of the three that we have. We liked Cardale, but our goal right now is just to let these three go and see how it goes at camp.”
- Buccaneers DE Jacquies Smith suffered a setback to his knee and will undergo a procedure on Friday, according to HC Dirk Koetter. (Jenna Laine)
- Smith is expected to be out for a few weeks following this procedure.
- Jamison Hensley mentions that Ravens backup QB Ryan Mallett “looked awful” in filling in for Joe Flacco (back) with the first team offense on Friday.
- According to Hensley, Mallett intercepted “at least five times and was nearly picked off two more times.”
- After his last interception, Mallett reportedly threw his white towel in the air in frustration.
- Mallett was even taunted by OLB Terrell Suggs, who said: “Hey Marty [Mornhinweg, offensive coordinator], tell Mallett to throw to the guys wearing the purple jerseys [the offense].”
- Darren Wolfson mentions that there’s “buzz” that Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes has a “nice offer” from the Minnesota, who is willing to make him among highest paid cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Wolfson doesn’t think Rhodes would be practicing if a deal wasn’t close between the two parties.