Broncos GM John Elway told reporters that while he doesn’t see the benefit of franchise players holding out of offseason workouts, he’s still hopeful that they can reach an agreement on a long-term deal with franchise OLB Von Miller this summer before the deadline.
“I don’t see the benefit of it, but the (players) obviously do. But we are going to do everything we can and are hopeful we can come to some kind of agreement,” Elway said, via Troy Renck of the Denver Post. “Von is a big part of this. We want him to continue to be a big part. We are hopeful we can come to some kind of agreement.”
In regards to the quarterback position, Elway reiterated that they plan to bring in another option to compete for the job with Mark Sanchez.
“We will bring somebody in to compete. We are not going to just turn the job over to Mark now, even though I know he’s excited about competing for the job,” Elway said. “Everything is out there. There are a still a lot of guys. You never know what’s going to fall out of the tree. We are not in any rush.”
- Vaughn McClure of ESPN reports that Florida S Keanu Neal has a workout scheduled with the Falcons this week. McClure mentions that Neal was recruited to Florida by Falcons HC Dan Quinn, who was previously the Gators defensive coordinator.
- Lions GM Bob Quinn said he had a sit down meeting with agent Drew Rosenhaus about clients LB Stephen Tulloch and CB Darius Slay on Monday. (Dave Birkett)
- According to Birkett, contract talks with Slay are ongoing, and Tulloch’s situation remains a mystery.
- Birkett believes Tulloch would still have to agree to a pay cut in order to return to the Lions.
- ESPN’s Nick Wagoner mentions that the Rams are worth keeping an eye on as a candidate to play in China, given that their relocation agreement requires them to play an international game in each of the next three seasons.
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin said of WR Martavis Bryant‘s suspension: “We’ve played without him in the past. We’re not overly concerned about playing without him in 2016, to be honest.” (Gerry Dulac)
- Tomlin added that they’re excited about the growth and development of WR Sammie Coates. (Gerry Dulac)
- Tomlin indicated that they’re unlikely to sign a cornerback in free agency, saying: “I don’t know that there’s one available at this juncture.” (Gerry Dulac)