“So now that Bowe has finally gotten some playing time, and shown that he’s a better option than [Taylor] Gabriel, it raises an uncomfortable question in Cleveland: What the heck was Mike Pettine doing playing Gabriel ahead of Bowe all season?
The apparent answer is that Gabriel is 24 years old and Bowe is 31, and Pettine would rather give playing time to younger players to develop for the future,” writes Smith. “That’s all well and good, but if the Browns care more about developing for the future than winning now, why did they give Bowe $9 million guaranteed this offseason?”
- Ian Rapoport reports that he wouldn’t expect the Browns to make a decision regarding their starting quarterback any time soon.
- Rapoport adds that Browns’ decision will depend on how Josh McCown’s ribs heal.
- Rand Getlin reports no decision has been made whether Colts WR T.Y. Hilton (foot) will play in Week 9’s game against the Broncos.
- According to Getlin, Hilton “looks like a game-time decision.”
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones mentioned during an interview with 105.3 The Fan that Tony Romo has told him he’d help find a future QB for the Cowboys when it’s needed. (Brandon George)
- According to Jones, he recently spent around four hours with Romo discussing what he’d look for when drafting a college quarterback. (Brandon George)
- Alex Marvez reports that X-rays on Dolphins first-round WR DeVante Parker‘s foot came back negative, and he’s expected to resume running next week.
- The Eagles officially listed ILB Kiko Alonso (knee) as probable, which means he’s on track to play in his first game since Week 2. (Mike Garafolo)