Home 49ers NFL Notes: Caleb Brantley, Draft, 49ers, Saints
- The attorney for Florida DT Caleb Brantley, who is facing a misdemeanor charge for allegedly knocking a woman unconscious, tells Jason Cole of B/R that his client was approached about a financial settlement on Tuesday.
- However, Brantley declined the offer and has no plans to settle with his accuser, even though the NFL draft is just a few days away, according to Cole.
- Cole reports that the bar owner said that the alleged victim “repeatedly” hit Brantley in the chest and arms and a security guard added that she punched him in the mouth.
- The security guard who witnessed the incident told Cole that the alleged victim was never unconscious and Brantley pushed her away but did not punch her.
- Wyoming RB Brian Hill has generated interest from the Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals, and Chargers. (Jim Thomas)
- According to Albert Breer, teams knew about Alabama LB Reuben Foster‘s drug history prior to the NFL Combine and it was not considered a “big deal.” However, his positive test at the combine now gives his situation a “different context.”
- Breer writes that Alabama TE O.J. Howard could be drafted as high as No. 5 overall, given that he’s considered to be one of the cleanest prospects in this year’s class.
- Breer expects there to be a run on four offensive linemen late in the first round, including Wisconsin OT Ryan Ramczyk, Alabama OT Cam Robinson, Western Kentucky G Forrest Lamp, Utah OT Garett Bolles, which could cause teams to trade up into the late teens.
- Breer would not be shocked to see a team with an older quarterback draft Cal QB Davis Webb late in the first round.
- Though Albert Breer wonders if drafting Stanford DE Solomon Thomas is “redundant” due to the presence of DEs DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead, he could still see them making it work with all three players.
- Breer mentions Ohio State CB Marshon Lattimore as a possibility for San Francisco at No. 2 overall.
- According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, there’s “scuttlebutt” in league circles that the 49ers may take LSU RB Leonard Fournette at No. 2 overall on Thursday.
- Saints HC Sean Payton said newly signed RB Adrian Peterson will have a “clear role” and will “blend well” with RB Mark Ingram. (Nick Underhill)
- Payton mentioned that they believe Peterson still multiple years left in his playing career: “We think he has years left in his career.” (Sean Fazende)
- Regarding the possibility of acquiring Patriots RFA CB Malcolm Butler, Payton said there is “nothing imminent.” (Josh Katzenstein)