49ers HC Kyle Shanahan explained that teams likely would have to change part of their offense if they were to sign QB Colin Kaepernick.
“You don’t just run stuff and think you’re going to be good at it right away,” Shanahan said, via Pro Football Talk. “You’ve got to commit to it and work at it year round, and it’s all the positions. When all your quarterbacks have different ways to be successful, which I’ve been in situations like that and you try to prepare them best, it does take a toll on your offense. What are you trying to get good at? You can’t practice everything. You can’t be great at everything. You’ve kind of got to commit to something and do it over and over and over again and once the type of running game or drop-back game, you’re going to commit to one quarterback is completely different than the other, then that does affect your team. That’s why I think it can be harder when those type of guys are going through competitions and stuff and like that because even though you’re trying to find the best guy, by trying to be fair to those quarterbacks you’re also being unfair to a team. You don’t really know what direction you’re going. So, if you have your pick of the best world, you’d like those guys to be somewhat similar, not just because that’s how you want the quarterbacks, just because of the work you’re doing for the rest of the guys on the roster.”
- Miami CB Corn Elder has worked out for the Panthers, Dolphins, Cardinals and Titans, according to Tony Pauline.
- Purdue WR DeAngelo Yancey is flying into Houston Tuesday for his official with the Texans. He’ll meet with the Bengals soon after. (Aaron Wilson)
- Matt Miller has heard that the Saints really like Temple LB Hasson Reddick a lot and believe he would be a great fit in a 4-3 scheme.
- The Dolphins are hosting Florida CB Jalen Tabor for a visit today and met with Miami TE David Njoku yesterday. (Ian Rapoport)
- Alabama OT Cam Robinson is visiting with the Broncos on Wednesday. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- USC OL Chad Wheeler is visiting with the Broncos on Tuesday. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- The Broncos held pre-draft visits with UCLA OT Conor McDermott and Utah OT Sam Tevi. (Mike Klis)
- Kansas State DE Jordan Willis is visiting with the Buccaneers on Tuesday. (Greg Auman)
- FSU FB Freddie Stevenson will be in attendance for the Buccaneers’ local prospects day. (Bob Ferrante)
- Florida DL Joey Ivie will participate in the Buccaneers’ local prospects day this week. (Matt Baker)