NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock mentioned during an appearance on The College Draft podcast that he would be “scared to death” to take any of the top quarterback prospects in the top 10 picks this year.
“All three of these quarterbacks, to me, I would be scared to death in the top 10,” Mayock said.
Mayock highlighted some obvious concerns regarding UNC QB Mitch Trubisky and Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer.
“If (Trubisky is) so talented and gifted, and a top-10-type pick, one of the first questions a lot of teams are asking is, why couldn’t he beat out Marquise Williams the last couple years at North Carolina? What’s the answer to that one?,“ Mayock said, via NFL.com.
“The problem I have is that (Kizer’s) pocket mechanics seem to break down at the worst times. He got removed in the fourth quarter from two or three games last year. He got replaced at Stanford, he got replaced at USC. I’ve watched five of his games so far, and in almost every game at critical times, the pocket mechanics, the feel in the pocket, the decisions you’re making with the football, seems to break down when the team needs him the most.”
- Adam Caplan reports that Falcons assistant special teams coach Eric Sutulovich is expected to interview for the 49ers’ special teams coordinator job.
- Alex Marvez reports that the are set to hire Jeff Zgonina as their defensive line coach.
- Vaughn McClure of ESPN mentions that Bryant Young is expected to be hired as next Falcons’ new defensive line coach, replacing Bryan Cox.
- Former members of the Rams’ coaching staff tell Jason Cole that lack of talent at receiver was an obvious issue for them last year.
- However, Cole’s sources also mentioned that their receiving corps had “little respect” for rookie QB Jared Goff.
- Goff reportedly asked the team’s receivers to help him on an off day, but none of them showed up.