- Eric Galko of the Sporting News mentions that he’s spoken with some teams who wonder if Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes is the best quarterback in this year’s draft class and could be taken in the top-15 picks. However, others have laughed at the idea of Mahomes going that high.
- Galko considers Mahomes to be a “less polished version of Matthew Stafford coming out of Georgia” and could see him being a good fit for the Bears and Cardinals.
- Galko “highly doubts” UNC QB Mitch Trubisky will end up being a Brown, even though he could be the first quarterback drafted.
- If there’s a team to watch for a possible trade up to get a quarterback in round one, Galko believes the Bills are the one to watch.
- In regards to Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, Galko says that it’s tough to find a team that’s fully on board with him. In fact, Galko could see Kizer dropping on draft day.
Sources tell Eric Galko of the Sporting News that new 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan would like to find his quarterback of the future immediately and if he can’t get Kirks Cousins, it’s possibly San Francisco could pursue a trade for Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason.
Galko expects Garoppolo to receive a six-year contract that would pay him around $20 million per year and include $20 million or more in guaranteed money.
- Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the 49ers are interviewing Chargers LBs coach Robert Saleh and passing game coordinator Jerome Henderson today.
- Rapoport says that the two of them could serve as co-defensive coordinators for the 49ers.
- Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reports that the 49ers have hired former Houston and Washington strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright.
- According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, it possible that the Jaguars could either trade or released veteran TE Julius Thomas at some point this offseason, even though $3 million of his $7 million salary for the 2017 season will become guaranteed later today.
- Mark Kaboly of DKPittsburghSports mentions that the Steelers could use their franchise tag on RB Le’Veon Bell, possibly as soon as next Thursday.