NFL Notes: Giants, Jets, Patriots
- James Kratch of NJ.com writes that while the Giants haven’t drafted a linebacker in the first-round since 1984 and haven’t prioritized the position under GM Jerry Reese, they appear to have shown serious interest in Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham.
- Kratch believes that if the Giants’ top targets are off the board by No. 23 overall, it would make sense to draft Cunningham, given that he’s a high-ceiling player who fits a need.
- The Giants are clearly doing a lot of work on quarterback prospects this year and Kratch believes Eli Manning would support a young quarterback if they elected to bring someone in this year. Kratch adds that the Giants “are not going to pull the rug out from under” Manning and go with a young quarterback. In fact, Kratch expects any young quarterback taken this year to sit at least two years behind Manning.
- In regards to free agent DT Johnathan Hankins, Kratch says that things remain the same and New York still has a “fair” offer on the table for him (NFLTR).
- According to Kratch, there’s no chance of the Giants signing RB Adrian Peterson to a team-friendly contract.
- Kratch mentions that the Giants like Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey and would serious consider taking him at No. 23 overall. However, it would depth on who else is available.
- Mike Reiss of ESPN also believes it would be a “major surprise” if the Patriots hosted the Falcons to open the 2017 season. Panthers HC Ron Rivera made the case last year that it was unfair for the Panthers to travel to Denver for the opener after they spent the offseason trying to put that game behind them.
- Some alternative options, according to Reiss, could include the Chiefs, Texans, Chargers and Dolphins.
- Reiss mentions that the Patriots may strongly consider drafting a fallback option at left tackle this year, given that Nate Solder will be entering the final year of his contract and New England is typically a few years ahead in planning for key positions.
Tags Adrian Peterson Buster Skrine Christian McCaffrey Darron Lee Eli Manning Jerry Reese Johnathan Hankins Nate Solder Patrick Mahomes Quincy Enunwa Tyler Scalzi Zach Cunningham