- Adam Schefter points out that a number of players will be returning from suspension this week including: Cowboys DE Greg Hardy, Cowboys ILB Rolando McClain, Jets DL Sheldon Richardson, Chargers TE Antonio Gates, and Steelers WR Martavis Bryant.
- Ian Rapoport reports that DL Sheldon Richardson’s pre-trial hearing is today, but the expectation is that this trial will be continued for about a month.
- Rapoport adds that unless the NFL steps in and disciplines Richardson, he’ll play and wait to hear from the league regarding punishment.
Jason Fitzgerald of OverTheCap.com writes that the 49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a deal that includes a “very team friendly” guarantee structure.
While most quarterbacks who have signed big-money deals in the past few years have injury protected salaries that vest on the third day of the league year, Kaepernick’s vesting guarantees that don’t kick in until April 1 of each year.
As Fitzgerald points out, this gives the 49ers plenty of time to consider all of their available options and scout potential draft replacements before deciding on Kaepernick.
San Francisco would save $9.36 million in cap room and $14.3 million in salary if the were to release Kaepernick by April 1 of next year, according to Fitzgerald.
It’s worth mentioning that Kaepernick’s deal does include $61 million in injury protection.
- Colts sign DE Earl Okine to their practice squad.
- Eagles OL Lane Johnson is undergoing an MRI on his knee today after he re-injured his MCL during Sunday’s game.
- According to Jeff McLane, it sounds like Johnson just has a sprain.