- According to Rapoport, the Bills are still in play for Byrd.
- Rapoport doubts the Eagles are an option for Byrd, but mentions that the Jets could be fit based on the fact that they they run the same defensive system as the Bills used last year.
Byrd recently mentioned that he intends to keep his options moving after the Bills elected to not franchise him on Monday.
“At this point I’m definitely keeping all my options open,” said Byrd, via BuffaloBills.com. “See whatever happens in free agency. The lines of communication are open with them as well. So no door is shut.”
Bills GM Doug Whaley mentioned that they haven’t closed the door on re-signing Byrd in the coming days.
“It’s a negotiation,” Whaley said, via BuffaloBills.com. “We still have some time to get it done so we’re not closing the door on it. We’re hopeful. We’re optimistic, but we’ll see where it goes from here.”
Byrd, 27, is believed to be looking for a contract that would make him the highest paid safety in the league at around $9 million annually.
Last year, Byrd totaled 48 tackles, 4 sacks, one interception and a forced fumble for the Bills defense. Pro Football Focus has Byrd rated as the No. 8 safety in the league last season.
We have him listed as the No. 1 player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.