Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the Seahawks and free agent QB Colin Kaepernick remain “apart on money” right now, which explains why no deal has been agreed to following his recent visit to Seattle.
Given the lack of overall interest in him up to this point, Seattle may only be willing to spend something closer to the veteran minimum for a backup quarterback. That’s just speculation on my part, but it’s rare for teams to spend more than that at this point in the NFL offseason.
On Friday, Seahawks HC Pete Carroll told reporters that there’s nothing imminent between them and Kaepernick, but they view him as a starting-caliber quarterback.
“Colin’s been a fantastic football player and he’s going to continue to be,” Carroll said, via Pro Football Talk. “At this time, we didn’t do anything with it. We know where he is, who he is and we had a chance to understand him much more so. He’s a starter in this league and I can’t imagine somebody won’t give him a chance to play.”
Many consider the Seahawks to be Kaepernick’s best option, but it appears as though Seattle isn’t ready to bring him in for offseason works. Things could change closer to training camp based on how their other quarterbacks perform.
Kaepernick, 29, is a former second-round pick of the 49ers back in 2010. He was in the third year of his seven-year, $126.97 million contract that included $61 million guaranteed when reached an agreement with the 49ers on a restructured deal.
This gave Kaepernick the ability to void his deal earlier in the month. He’s now testing the open market as an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.
In 2016, Kaepernick has completed 59.2 percent of his passes for 2,241 yards and 16 touchdowns and four interceptions, while adding 468 yards rushing. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 27 quarterback out of 36 qualifying players.
We have him featured in our Top 50 Available Free Agents list.