- One NFL scouting director told Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer they’d be eyeing the Bills for a potential running back cut, as one of LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore or T.J. Yeldon could be made available.
- Joe Buscaglia writes this is a big year for Bills DE Trent Murphy, as Buffalo could save $7.2 million by releasing him after 2019.
- Buscaglia lists C Russell Bodine, TE Jason Croom and DE Eddie Yarbrough as veterans on the roster bubble.
- The Bills are looking for one more free-agent defensive end to round out their four-person rotation. They would also like to stash DE Mike Love on the practice squad. (Buscaglia)
The Jets weren’t expecting LB C.J. Mosley to become available in free agency. But once the Ravens let him go, New York pounced, giving him the largest contract ever for a linebacker and making him their biggest addition this offseason.
“He’s a really good leader,” Jets DC Gregg Williams said via Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News. “He leads by example first. All the great leaders that I’ve been a part of have to show a great example before you open your mouth. So, he’s always doing that.…. He’s not a highly vocal guy, but he sets the example by how he goes about doing his job. He understands the routine of being a real pro. He’s excited about the flexibility of… being even more of a quarterback of the defense and having the checks and audible systems that we teach. It’ll be fun.”
“He said at the time Julian (Edelman) had got hurt and we’re looking for a receiver and that was pretty much it. And I was just froze in front of him,” Brissett said per Ben Volin. “I wasn’t talking, he wasn’t talking after he told me why. So I just got up and left.”
Brissett added he and Belichick have spoken since then and are on good terms.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes the Patriots felt okay with filing tampering charges against the Texans for their pursuit of executive Nick Caserio because of Caserio’s professionalism and ability to compartmentalize.
- Breer adds there could be subtle signs Caserio is on his way out next year, like changes in his responsibilities or adding other members to the Patriots staff.