Home Bills AFC East Notes: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots
- Per Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman, an NFC general manager says the Dolphins have already been among the most active teams talking with other teams: “They’re shaping up to be among the biggest factors in this draft.”
- According to CBS Sports’ Cody Benjamin, the Dolphins are among the teams who would be interested in Titans RB Dion Lewis as a backup if he’s cut by Tennessee as expected.
- The Athletic’s Jeff Howe writes that money isn’t really a big factor in Patriots QB Tom Brady‘s upcoming decision, except so far as it is indicative of a team’s commitment to him.
- Howe points out Brady wanted guaranteed money for 2020 in his last negotiations with the Patriots in 2019, but the team wanted to go year-to-year with him. Howe expects Brady to ask for guaranteed money in the second year of his deal again.
- Howe believes passing Don Shula in all-time wins is important to Patriots HC Bill Belichick, meaning he won’t retire until after that. He’s on pace to pass Shula in 2023.
- At tight end, Howe mentions Chargers TE Hunter Henry and Bengals TE Tyler Eifert as strong free-agent targets, particularly since the Patriots inquired about Eifert at the trade deadline last year.
- Buccaneers TE O.J. Howard and Rams TE Gerald Everett are also potential trade targets for the Patriots, per Howe.
- NESN’s Zack Cox points out the Patriots could save almost $3.5 million by releasing K Stephen Gostkowski, who’s coming off of hip surgery, this offseason.
- Retire Patriots OL coach Dante Scarnecchia will still represent the team at the Scouting Combine and work out players for New England this week. (Michael Giardi)