- The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. says that while normally big contracts for running backs have shown they don’t age well, it’s possible the Bengals won’t end up regretting their four-year, $48 million extension for RB Joe Mixon.
- The Bengals have loads of cap space and should be well-positioned with first-round QB Joe Burrow on his rookie deal for the next four years. Mixon also helps provide stability for Burrow.
- Mixon also has been a model citizen since being drafted and Cincinnati likes to reward the players they’ve drafted and developed.
- The Athletic’s Jay Morrison expects the Bengals to keep a closer eye on Mixon’s workload going forward to ensure he holds up.
- He also notes there’s an out in the contract after two years with just $6 million in dead cap.
- Mixon was elated to be able to get a deal done: “It was a hell of a feeling, honestly… It’s a great feeling.” (Ben Baby)
- He said he thought the Bengals were by far his best fit: “I wanted to be a part of something special… I love our fans. I love my teammates. Upstairs, they definitely value me in a lot of ways that other people probably won’t.” (Baby)
- Mixon mentioned the migraines that kept him out of practice recently were legit and not a negotiating ploy. (Baby)
- Mixon’s deal includes a $10 million signing bonus, a base salary of $1.3 million in 2020, $8 million in 2021 and 2022, $9.4 million in 2023, and a $9.6 million club-option for 2024. (Ian Rapoport)
- Mixon can also earn $500,000 each year in playing time incentives and a $200,000 workout bonus each offseason.
- The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec notes Ravens 2019 fourth-round RB Justice Hill has had a quiet camp but he’s never gotten the sense Hill’s roster spot was in jeopardy. He should have a role as a kickoff returner.
- Meanwhile, 2019 fourth-round G Ben Powers is on the wrong side of the roster bubble, per Zrebiec.
- Zrebiec mentions Ravens C Matt Skura and third-round DT Justin Madubuike are candidates to start the year on injured reserve and then return sometime after Week 3.
- Zrebiec says Chris Board has created some distance for the No. 4 linebacker spot between himself and Otaro Alaka, who is very much on the bubble.
- Ravens HC John Harbaugh said they’re monitoring Skura to see if he’ll be able to return Week 1 after the initial expectation being his knee injury would keep him out the first six weeks at least: “We’ll know by next week where he’s at.” (Zrebiec)
- Ravens third-round OL Tyre Phillips has put himself in the starting conversation at right guard and could also backup both tackle spots: “He’s a good football player. That’s the main thing. We saw an ability to play guard or tackle. Very smart. He’s got a really good demeanor about him. He doesn’t get down on himself at all. He pushes through it and learns from his mistakes.” (Zrebiec)
- Harbaugh is not sure if an undrafted free agent will make the roster and continue Baltimore’s 16-year streak this year. (Zrebiec)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!