- ESPN’s Marcel Louis-Jacques writes that Bills LB Matt Milano‘s injuries have only shown how important he is to Buffalo’s defense and he remains one of the team’s top priorities to re-sign.
- Per Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Dolphins HC Brian Flores said he doesn’t want to put a timetable on when WR Preston Williams (foot) or RB Myles Gaskin (knee) would come off of injured reserve.
At 0-9, it’s clear the Jets don’t have anything left to play for this season and they’ve started making decisions to that effect, cutting veterans like CB Pierre Desir to make it easier to play and develop younger players. However, Jets HC Adam Gase pushed back against the use of the T-word — tanking.
“Nobody has talked about that,” Gase said via ESPN’s Rich Cimini. “We’re just trying to play young guys. We’re trying to get guys experience.”
- Per the Athletic’s Connor Hughes, Jets CB Brian Poole, who’s already on injured reserve, is having season-ending shoulder surgery and won’t come off the list.
- Jets CB Blessuan Austin missed practice Wednesday and is having an MRI on his neck. (Brian Costello)
- The Jets are so thin at cornerback this week they’ve discussed moving third-round S Ashtyn Davis to that position. (Ralph Vacchiano)
- ESPN’s Mike Reiss expects the Patriots to let G Joe Thuney test the free-agent market in 2021 given New England doesn’t usually pay top positional premiums. However, Reiss doesn’t rule out Thuney returning if his market isn’t as hot as expected.
- Reiss also believes the Patriots will try to re-sign QB Cam Newton to give him a full offseason to work in the system as the starter. However, if 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo becomes available, Reiss wouldn’t rule the Patriots out from going in that direction.
- Patriots CB J.C. Jackson was initially left off the Pro Bowl list the Patriots submitted to the league, per a league spokesperson. Jackson leads the NFL with six interceptions. (Jason Cole)
- The league added teams are allowed to nominate more than two cornerbacks given how much teams play nickel defense now. (Cole)
- A Patriots spokesperson said they were given only two spots for cornerbacks, however: “We listed the two cornerbacks who have started the most games at cornerback and who have the longest tenure, Jason McCourty (9) and Stephon Gilmore (6). If we could list a third CB, we would have listed JC Jackson (4) or Jonathan Jones (6), but you asked to list the 11 defensive starters.” (Henry McKenna)
- Jackson is now listed on the fan ballot for cornerback in the AFC. (Reiss)