Browns HC Freddie Kitchens confirmed he benched WR Antonio Callaway for the game against the Bills Sunday. However, Kitchens wouldn’t say why he chose to discipline Callaway.
“I don’t know if he’s gotten the message or not, but I’m not wavering,” Kitchens said, via ESPN.com. “But what Antonio and I talk about stays between Antonio and I.”
- The Browns worked out S Tre Sullivan and DT Destiny Vaeao. (Adam Caplan)
Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick was not happy about the way a potential concussion was handled during Sunday’s win against the Colts. Fitzpatrick took a hard hit from Colts DT Grover Stewart, but the concussion spotters who have the authority to pull players from the game for testing did not signal for Fitzpatrick to be pulled until the next drive following a Miami interception.
“As a guy who’s played this game a long time, I understand why they have the spotters and why they call down,” Fitzpatrick said via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. “That’s for us, to protect us. For me, it was frustrating because I was on the bench for five minutes. We were off the field. I sat on the bench for five minutes, going over plays. It wasn’t until I went back into the game that it was called down to check on me.
“If they want to check on me, I get it 100 percent and I know what it’s in place. It was a five-minute gap there where I was sitting there doing nothing and they didn’t need me out on the field where I could have been checked. And then also I sat in the blue tent for what seemed like 10 minutes — it was probably one minute — without anybody checking me in a very key moment of the game. That was difficult. . . . The timing of it was off, and it was difficult for me to understand.”
- Dolphins HC Brian Flores told reporters that Fitzpatrick would remain Miami’s starter for the “foreseeable future.” (Barry Jackson)
- Per the Athletic’s Connor Hughes, Jets HC Adam Gase said starting G Brian Winters re-dislocated his shoulder: “It will be hard to get him back this season.”
- Jets TE Chris Herndon also will be out for an extended time period after fracturing a rib. (Hughes)
- Jets LB Brandon Copeland is seeing a specialist about a muscle strain in his hip and will be limited. (Brian Costello)
- Jets RB Le’Veon Bell had sore ribs during Sunday’s game but is fine. (Costello)