- According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, there were four to six other teams that expressed interest with the 49ers in a trade for DL DeForest Buckner. But the Colts and GM Chris Ballard were the most diligent and persistent.
- Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said after Sunday’s game that QB Gardner Minshew still isn’t throwing so there’s no decision to be made regarding the quarterback positions. (Mark Long)
- As for K Josh Lambo‘s injury on the onside kick, Marrone said it “doesn’t look good.”
La Canfora adds Houston interim GM Jack Easterby identified McCown as someone who could help change the organization’s culture going forward and help QB Deshaun Watson‘s development.
La Canfora says locker room chemistry was identified as an ongoing issue under former HC/GM Bill O’Brien, with it often boiling over in interactions with players.
McCown had been working remotely as a practice squad quarterback for the Eagles, especially with their own young, developing franchise quarterback, Carson Wentz.
But the opportunity was too good for McCown to pass up, as he lives in Texas and coaches his son’s high school football team. La Canfora adds McCown is still on the Eagles’ radar as a future coach.
- NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo says the Texans have already done their homework on Seahawks executives Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer as potential general manager candidates.
- Texans interim HC Romeo Crennel said that CB Bradley Roby not making the trip even though he’s not injured or sick came down to a “personal” decision. (Mark Berman)
- Ian Rapoport reports that Texans OLB Brennan Scarlett suffered a fractured forearm.
- Despite coming in trade rumors the past month, Texans WR Will Fuller make it clear he wanted to remain in Houston: “It means a lot. I want to be here. I love it here.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Fuller added that “it really sucked just being shopped around like that” during the trade deadline: “Giving this organization my all, coming to work everyday, very unselfish player, do everything they ask, and then, just to be shopped around, I did feel a certain type of way.” (Sarah Barshop)
- When asked what would have happened if the team traded Fuller, QB Deshaun Watson said: “It would’ve been hell if they would’ve (traded him), for sure.” (Aaron Reiss)