- 1075TheFan.com’s Kevin Bowen says the Colts feel internally that LB Zaire Franklin can replace Anthony Walker as the third linebacker in base defense and give them similar effectiveness against the run. Franklin has averaged three snaps a game the past two years.
- Bowen adds that E.J. Speed will also compete for snaps as the third linebacker. He’s played just 34 snaps in two seasons.
While the Jaguars haven’t officially announced that first-round QB Trevor Lawrence is their starter, it’s likely just a formality given he was the No. 1 overall pick. That leaves the starter of the past two seasons, Gardner Minshew, as the No. 2 quarterback in all likelihood. But the former sixth-round pick didn’t get to where he was now by considering the likelihoods and he had an, ah, colorful way to make that point.
“I’ll say this man, in preparation for the competition, I haven’t taken a shit in weeks,” Minshew said during an appearance on Green Light with Chris Long, via Jamal St. Cyr of WJXT4. “Because number two isn’t an option for me. Number two is not an option.”
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler mentions there’s a sense around the league that the Texans have moved on from QB Deshaun Watson in their plans.
- He adds Watson has been training and plans to play this year, though obviously there are factors outside of his control like his legal situation, a trade, and potential NFL discipline that will have a major say in whether he does.
- Josina Anderson says she was told the NFL prefers to wait for official findings from authorities in Texas before making its own decision on how to handle Watson, although this was before he reported to training camp.