- Chris Easterling of The Akron Beacon-Journal points out that CB Greedy Williams will be expected to play opposite CB Denzel Ward if healthy, while the team brings along rookie CB Martin Emerson slowly and moves CB Greg Newsome to the nickel and slot positions.
- Easterling adds that the team is also counting on players like DT Jordan Elliott and S Grant Delpit to step up and be contributors defensively this year.
- Scott Patsko of Cleveland.com mentions that the role for RB Demetric Felton is yet to be clearly defined as the team drafted RB Jerome Ford and re-signed rumored trade candidate RB D’Ernest Johnson.
Browns LT Jedrick Wills knows he needs to play better in 2022 after he got off to a “frustrating” start last year.
“It’s a big year. I know that, everybody knows that,” Wills said, via BrownsZone.com. “I just made sure that I put myself in the best position to excel.”
“Just want to live up to expectations,” he added. “I want to prove that I’m one of the best tackles in the game.”
Browns veteran OL coach Bill Callahan says he’s looking for a “quantum leap” from Wills this year.
“I’m looking for a quantum leap in his play,” Callahan said. “I think we all are. He wants to do it. So if it comes from him and he wants to do it, he wants the progress, that’s 99 percent of it.
“That’s awesome. It’s all intrinsic, it’s all self-motivated. So coming from Jed, I think that means a lot. He’s pretty focused.”
- The Athletic’s Mark Kaboly notes Steelers P Pressley Harvin‘s margin for error will be slimmer if he struggles again now that he’s in his second season.
- Kaboly also points out Steelers LB Robert Spillane‘s $2.4 million restricted free agent tender isn’t guaranteed, worth keeping in mind if LB Buddy Johnson or others improve the depth at inside linebacker dramatically.
- With just Derrek Tuszka, Genard Avery and Tuzar Skipper as backup outside linebackers, Kaboly would be surprised if Pittsburgh didn’t make an addition at some point during camp.