- Colts GM Chris Ballard said of QB Jacoby Brissett: “We still need more… unfortunately for QBs, even though it’s not all their fault, when you go 7-9, you’re gonna shoulder a lot of the blame. It’s just the nature of the position.” (Stephen Holder)
- Ballard announced that LT Anthony Castonzo has informed the team he’ll return for the 2020 season. However, Ballard mentioned that it’s a “year-to-year” thing with Castonzo. (Kevin Bowen)
- Ballard said he feels the locker room is now ready for a bigger name free agent.
- Ballard said of QB prospects: “We all know that position usually gets pushed up. You’ve got to be true to your evaluation. More mistakes are made when you push that position up and then he doesn’t deserve (it). Then the expectations and everything else builds up on that kid.” (Zak Keefer)
- Colts HC Frank Reich is jazzed about the addition of former Eagles OC Mike Groh to the coaching staff: “Mike is one of the best wide receiver coaches in the NFL.” (Holder)
Jaguars HC Doug Marrone said at the Combine that there’s currently not timetable to make a decision regarding the team’s quarterback position.
“When do you make that decision? There’s not really a date,” Marrone said, via CBSSports.com. “It’s not really going to happen until we start playing, in the preseason, because for me, at that position, one of the things that’s important is that the players can see who the best player is. You have an obligation to everyone in that locker room that you’re putting the best player out there.”
- Per John Oehser of the team website, Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell says the team is exploring all options with CB A.J. Bouye, who has come up as a potential trade or salary cap cut candidate for Jacksonville as the team looks to create financial flexibility: “We’ll explore all options with him. He still has a lot of football left in him – and again, another player we really like here as a person and as a guy. … A.J. is definitely an asset for us.”
- Caldwell also said the team would prefer to keep DL Calais Campbell instead of trade him: “We love Calais. He’s a tremendous player, a tremendous leader. … We’re in the business of having good football players, so we’d like to have Calais.” (Oehser)
- Caldwell said Tuesday that Gardner Minshew had better stats than any other rookie quarterback and they believe they can build around him. (Gregg Rosenthal)
- Per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Texans HC Bill O’Brien said he will cede play-calling duties to OC Tim Kelly in 2020.
- O’Brien didn’t think it was “fair” to talk specifics about extension negotiations with QB Deshaun Watson and OT Laremy Tunsil. He did say, though, “We want those guys on our team for a long time.” (Mark Berman)
- Texans strength coach and former LB Brian Cushing will be an assistant LB coach in 2020. (McClain)
- Titans GM Jon Robinson said Monday that they’ve had preliminary discussions with some pending free agents, but there are no other updates beyond that. (Matt Verderame)
- Robinson said when asked if he envisions QB Ryan Tannehill being their 2020 starter: “We’ll see how it goes. His contract is up.” (Matt Verderame)
- Robinson declined to comment on free-agent QB Tom Brady or any possible interest, saying he wasn’t going to comment on players on other teams. (Karen Guregian)
- As for free agent RB Derrick Henry, Robinson said: “We’re going to work through that one and do everything we can to try to keep him around.” (Erik Bacharach)