- Daniel Popper of The Athletic expects sixth-round QB Gardner Minshew to win the team’s backup job over Alex McGough and Tanner Lee with McGough being a potential practice squad option.
- Popper believes the Jaguars will keep five running backs on their active roster, including Leonard Fournette, RyQuell Armstead, Alfred Blue, Benny Cunningham, and Michael Colubiale.
- Popper says the “big question mark” for the Jaguars’ receivers is whether Marqise Lee (knee) starts the season on the PUP list. Popper admits “it could go either way” but he still thinks Lee manages to be ready for Week 1 while playing on a snap count.
- Popper expects Jaguars OT Cam Robinson will start the season on the PUP list as he recovers from a torn ACL he suffered last year.
- Popper says the Jaguars are happy with OT Cedric Ogbuehi, who could start at left tackle if Robinson is put on the PUP list.
- As for their defensive line, Popper projects 2017 third-round DE Dawuane Smoot to be a roster cut.
- Although Popper thinks Jaguars LB Jake Ryan will be Myles Jacks‘ primary backup at some point, he still expects Ryan to start the season on the PUP list as he’s still recovering from a torn ACL.
Texans DL coach Anthony Weaver says he has “sky-high” expectations for Carlos Watkins this season.
“My expectations for Carlos are sky-high,” Weaver said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I know to this point, he probably hasn’t exceeded the expectations but a lot of that has been purely because of opportunity. Obviously, we lost a very good player in Christian Covington, so there’s a void there, and one that I expect Carlos to step in and try to fill. He’s coming into his third year. He’s taking all of the coaching, he listens to the veterans and he’s had a very good offseason. So, I’m looking for him to take that stride.”
- Jim Wyatt of the Titans’ official site writes that undrafted WR Joseph Parker has an “uphill battle” to make the team due to the presence of Corey Davis, Adam Humphries, A.J. Brown, Taywan Taylor, Tajae Sharpe, and Darius Jennings.
- Wyatt points out that Humphries, Parker, Cameron Batson, and Kalif Raymond fielded punts during the final day of the Titans’ minicamp.
- According to Wyatt, Titans TE Anthony Firkser has been dealing with an injury this offseason but is expected to be recovered for training camp. Wyatt adds that Firkser will have to compete for a roster spot this offseason.