Broncos QB Brandon Allen was yet another backup that was pressed into starting duty this season after Denver’s starting QB Joe Flacco was sidelined with a neck injury. Allen stepped up in his first career start, throwing for two touchdowns and not turning the ball over in a 24-19 win against the Browns.
“I called it at the beginning of the week,” Broncos LB Von Miller said via Aric DiLalla of the team’s website. “I said, ‘He’s going to give us the magic. He’s going to be ready to go.’ He was cold in college, and I just knew if he got an opportunity, he’d be good. There’s a lot of talented guys in the National Football League and it was great to have him step up for us and give us a boost. He was incredible today.”
- According to CBS Sports Jason La Canfora, the market valued Broncos CB Chris Harris more at around a fourth-round pick as opposed to the second-round pick Denver was seeking in a trade.
While Chargers QB Philip Rivers wasn’t happy to see OC Ken Whisenhunt go, Rivers already had a strong bond with his replacement former QB coach Shane Steichen. That bond paid off Sunday as the Chargers offense clicked for several big plays in a huge 26-11 win against the visiting Packers on Sunday.
“We see plays the same, and we can talk the digits system,” Rivers said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “We can just speak in a couple different languages when it comes to offense. He played the position, played quarterback and it’s been like this. He’s been the quarterback coach for the last three, four years. When I say, ‘I don’t know if this guy is playing it like this,’ he’ll go, ‘Oh, we need to come with this.’ He sees it [similarly to how I do]. There doesn’t have to be a lot of long, drawn-out discussion. We kind of fit together.”
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said he’s hopeful DTs Justin Jones (shoulder) and Brandon Mebane (knee) will be able to play in Thursday night’s game, but he won’t know their status until later in the week. (Daniel Popper)
- According to Jay Glazer, Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is sitting out this week because he has a 40 percent chance of re-dislocating his kneecap in the first 21 days after the injury.
- Glazer adds that the chances drop down to 10-15 percent after the first 21 days.
- Per NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, there’s a good chance Mahomes plays this Sunday against the Titans.
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid described Mahomes as being physically close to returning and said those making the decisions had to hold him out and listen to the doctor’s advice regarding his dislocated kneecap. (Ed Werder)
Raiders HC Jon Gruden told reporters on Monday that they’re worried DE Arden Key broke his foot during Sunday’s win over the Lions.
“I do have a lot of concerns for Arden’s injury,” Gruden said, per Myles Simmons.
- Per NBC Sports’ Scott Bair, Raiders HC Jon Gruden said OT Trent Brown (knee) and CB Daryl Worley (Achilles) would both be getting MRI’s.