Broncos’ new CB A.J. Bouye said he was ready for a “new start” and appreciates GM Dave Caldwell for trading him to Denver.
“With everything going on there, I thought it was time for a new start, and I’m glad Dave Caldwell looked out for me,” said Bouye, via Ian Rapoport.
- Per the Athletic’s Mike Sando, NFL evaluators were also questioning Denver making RB Melvin Gordon a priority signing in free agency: “The Melvin Gordon signing is tough for Phillip Lindsay because it’s hard to see what his fit is going to be. Lindsay is not your classic smaller back who catches a bunch of passes. He is not a goal-line guy. He does what Melvin Gordon does. Why pay Gordon when you have Lindsay?”
- KUSA’s Mike Klis reports the Broncos have scheduled a video conference call with Temple OL Matt Hennessy next week.
- Broncos OLB Jeremiah Attaochu‘s one-year, $1.5 million deal includes a $250,000 signing bonus, $250,000 of his $1 million base salary is guaranteed and he can earn up to $250,000 in per-game active roster bonuses (Aaron Wilson)
- Per ESPN’s Lindsey Thiry, new Chargers DT Linval Joseph said Los Angeles instantly made him feel like a priority after he was cut by the Vikings: “They didn’t low ball me. They reached out with open arms.”
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn dodged a question about former Panthers QB Cam Newton before finally answering when asked more directly if they were interested: “We’re looking at everybody.” (Thiry)
- Regarding the team’s vacancy at left tackle, Lynn said the team might explore moving new free-agent acquisition Bryan Bulaga or Sam Tevi over from the right side. (Joe Reedy)
- Lynn called former Eagles LT Jason Peters, currently a free agent, “intriguing.” (Jeff Miller)
- Lynn didn’t specify where Chargers CB Desmond King would play after Los Angeles signed CB Chris Harris to play the slot: “Can’t ever have enough good corners. We need depth, we just need depth … Desmond is going to compete, we’ll figure it out.” (Gilbert Manzano)
- Lynn expects Chargers C Mike Pouncey to get medical clearance from his neck injury to be able to play in 2020: “If he’s not, we have other options.” (Miller)
- The Chargers plan to move OT Trent Scott to guard, as it helped recently-departed Michael Schofield improve enough to start at guard per Lynn: “The same thing could happen with Trent. We’ll see.” (Miller)
- Per the Athletic’s Mike Sando, some NFL evaluators drew comparisons between the Raiders signing QB Marcus Mariota and when HC Jon Gruden signed and revived QB Rich Gannon‘s career: “I do know the head coach loves Mariota. It is probably a good mix for Mariota and Carr personality-wise. Marcus is not going to come in and cause problems. He will work and do his job. I do think there is a Gannon comparison and I think Jon has a knack for resurrecting those guys.”
- Raiders TE Nick O’Leary‘s one-year, $1.047 million deal includes a $137,500 signing bonus and a base salary of $910,000. (Aaron Wilson)