Albert Breer of TheMMQ.com runs down all of the head-coaching decisions worth keeping an eye on in the coming weeks and offers the latest on what he’s hearing from sources regarding each situation.
- According to Breer, the expectation is that John Fox will be out as Bears head coach next week.
- However, it remains to be seen what the Bears will do with GM Ryan Pace and whether he gets another opportunity to pick a head coach.
- Breer says that it was clear from the moment the Bengals and HC Marvin Lewis did not agree to another one-year extension and prevent him from being a lame-duck head coach that they were going to be parting ways after the season.
- According to Breer, the expectation around the NFL is that Bengals’ preference is to go with coaches they already know, which is why Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden and internal candidates such as Paul Guenther and Darrin Simmons have come up.
- Breer wonders if Bruce Arians could be having second thoughts about retiring from the NFL, even though many have assumed he will.
- Breer also tosses out Jets HC Todd Bowles and Texans HC Bill O’Brien as two potential targets for Arizona.
- Breer writes that Colts GM Chris Ballard is “almost certain” to fire HC Chuck Pagano, even though he respects the job Pagano and staff have done.
- Interestingly enough, Breer says there are whispers the Colts could make a run at hiring Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.
- Although, both Chiefs OC Matt Nagy and special teams coordinator Dave Toub are worth watching here, given Ballard’s ties to Kansas City.
- If Tennessee misses the playoffs and the Titans fire HC Mike Mularkey, Breer fully expects Patriots OC Josh McDaniels to be in the mix to reunite with his former Patriot colleague Jon Robinson.