Home Cowboys NFC East Notes: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Redskins
- Per ESPN’s Ed Werder, Cowboys HC Jason Garrett said QB Dak Prescott might be limited with a shoulder injury, while LT Tyron Smith could miss practice with an eye injury.
- Garrett added that Prescott was hurt during Sunday’s win against the Rams and won’t throw much in practice Wednesday. However, they don’t anticipate him missing this week’s de facto NFC East championship game against the Eagles: “He’s as tough as they come.” (Michael Gehlken)
- While an MRI showed no structural damage, Prescott isn’t “functional” right now. (Werder)
- Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott said Prescott has a sprained AC joint, but he doesn’t see Prescott missing this game: “I couldn’t imagine having to throw with it. But I know Dak. I know his toughness. I know he’ll play.” (David Moore)
- The Cowboys have privately characterized the injury as just Prescott being “sore” and aren’t worried for Sunday. (Jane Slater)
- Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch will miss his fifth straight game and it’s not guaranteed his neck injury continues to progress fast enough for him to return this year. (Gehlken)
- Cowboys CB C.J. Goodwin‘s thumb surgery went well and he’ll wear a cast this week in preparation to play against the Eagles this Sunday. (Gehlken)
- Per ESPN’s Tim McManus, Eagles LB Kamu Grugier-Hill‘s agent released a statement after his client was placed on injured reserve Wednesday saying Grugier-Hill has been playing through significant pain for the majority of the season: “This pain has forced him to take weekly pre-game pain-killing shots and IV drips. This past week the pain became unbearable and it was determined he required a minor and minimally-invasive back procedure to relieve the pain. He is expected to be fully recovered in 3-4 weeks.”
- The statement appears addressed at the Eagles’ official team release which states Grugier-Hill reported back discomfort after this week’s game against the Redskins and was determined to have a herniated disc afterward. (Twitter)
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said Eagles OT Lane Johnson and DE Derek Barnett are getting closer to a return from ankle injuries, while RB Jordan Howard (shoulder) and WR Nelson Agholor (knee) remain the same. (Jeff McLane)
- According to Ryan Dunleavy of the New York Post, Giants first-round rookie QB Daniel Jones was taking first-team reps in practice Wednesday.
- Giants HC Pat Shurmur reiterated if Jones is healthy he will be the starting quarterback. (Ralph Vacchiano)
- Giants TE Evan Engram will have surgery Friday to repair his Lisfranc injury and plans to be “more than ready” for training camp. (Dan Duggan)
- Giants promoted DB Rashaan Gaulden to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- Giants signed DL Kevin Wilkins to the practice squad.
- Per Ryan Dunleavy of the New York Post, Redskins interim HC Bill Callahan said the initial plan for first-round rookie QB Dwayne Haskins was to sit him for his entire first season.
- Callahan noted how Haskins has grown “light years” from his first appearance this season against the Giants, who Washington plays Sunday: “His overall game he’s getting better every week.” (John Keim)
- Callahan added Redskins G Ereck Flowers has been “one of our better offensive linemen” and should do well in free agency after his contract expires following the end of the season. (Jordan Raanan)
- Redskins G Brandon Scherff will undergo shoulder surgery for his torn labrum on Friday and should be ready for training camp. (JP Finlay)