- Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to release TE Dion Sims this offseason.
- Regarding the decision to sign K Redford Jones, Biggs doesn’t believe it’s indicative of anything other than Chicago making it clear that they plan to do what they can to get the kicker position settled. Biggs is confident that Cody Parkey will not be with the team for the start of the offseason program.
- Biggs mentions that the Bears are probably looking for a more dynamic running back, but he doesn’t know if they will seriously consider Kareem Hunt.
- As for RB Jordan Howard, Biggs says it’s unlikely he has a real high trade value.
- Biggs would be surprised if the Bears re-signed CB Bryce Callahan before the start of free agency and it’s more likely he’ll test the open market.
- Biggs can see S Adrian Amos departing in free agency if he gets a solid offer.
- Tom Silverstein of PackersNews.com, citing multiple sources, reports that the Packers interviewed Vanderbilt special teams coach Shawn Mennenga for their coordinator job and he has emerged as a top candidate to replace Ron Zook.
According to Silverstein, the Packers tried to hire Dolphins special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi and eventually met his asking price. However, Rizzi is expected to join a different team.
- The Green Bay Packers announced Wednesday that they’ve hired Colorado State WRs coach Alvis Witted for the same position on Matt LaFleur’s staff.
- According to Darren Wolfson, former Vikings S Terence Newman “has a chance” to join the team’s coaching staff, but may choose to leave football altogether.
- Wolfson adds that Newman’s plans will become clearer next month.