- Nick Wagoner notes that 49ers RB Matt Breida got “some strong reps” in practice and continues being used as a runner and receiver. Wagoner adds that Breida is also getting reps at kick returner.
- 49ers signed DT Jay Bromley and WR Chris Thompson. (NFLTR)
- 49ers waived WR Max McCaffrey.
- 49ers placed DL Kapron Lewis-Moore on injured reserve.
Regarding the Bears’ kicking competition between Elliott Fry and Eddy Pineiro, special teams coordinator Chris Tabor explained that they want to get to the point where everyone involved is expecting the kick to be made.
“I think the other thing we’re trying to get to is the clapping, to get it non-existent,” Tabor said, via J.J. Stankevitz of NBC Chicago. “A little more of a golf clap, and if you get it to that, that means they expect you to make it. So that’s what we’re trying to get to.”
“To a man, [the] OTA performance wasn’t good enough,” Tabor added. “And they understand that. And we’re out front with that. And they’re performing. They can only control what they can control. And I think both guys are doing that. You know? We’ll see how it plays out.”
- According to Kingsbury, they will play their offensive line “a little bit longer” in order to get back up QB Brett Hundley strong protection.
- Kingsbury said they are unsure if they will play Cardinals RB David Johnson this preseason: “We want to make sure by game one that he’s at his peak,” said Kingsbury, via Weinfuss.