- Regarding the 49ers’ injured reserve players, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports does not think CB Jason Verrett or WRs Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd will be activated from the list for the postseason.
- As for potential draft options, Maiocco says it’s “certainly realistic and reasonable” for San Francisco to consider taking a wide receiver in round one.
- Although Maiocco does not expect the 49ers to release WR Dante Pettis during the offseason, he says the receiver must “earn his spot” at the start of the regular season.
- Tom Pelissero of NFL Media mentions that 49ers defensive backs coach/passing game coordinator Joe Woods is set to be a free agent after the season.
- Jason La Canfora, citing league sources, reports that the Panthers reached out to Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald about their vacancy. However, he declined to formally interview for the job.
- La Canfora mentions that Carolina is expected to interview Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and Ravens OC Greg Roman for their vacancy with Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski and Bills OC Brian Daboll also being on their radar.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Panthers have actually interviewed former Packers HC Mike McCarthy two times for their head-coaching vacancy and it sounds like “he did very well.“
- Even so, Rapoport says Carolina intends to interview Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Baylor HC Matt Rhule and Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy could also get a look.
- Rapoport adds that GM Marty Hurney is heavily involved in the interview process, which further indications he’ll likely be back with the team.
Rams HC Sean McVay admitted that it just isn’t realistic for the team to re-sign all their upcoming unrestricted free agents this offseason, given that they are set to have $24.2 million cap space.
“You’d love to see everyone get paid, you’d love to be able to keep everybody,” McVay said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, that’s not real and that’s not realistic. You’d always love to be able to retain your own guys. As you’re continuing to kind of navigate through what’s the best way to shape out our roster, given the financials and all those types of things, those are things that you work through.”
Rams ILB Cory Littleton, who is set to be an unrestricted free agent, called their Week 17 game a “bittersweet moment” for him.
“It’s a bittersweet moment,” Littleton said.
Littleton believes he earned a big payday this offseason but would “love” to re-sign with the Rams “if it’s possible.”
“Most definitely [earned a big contract],” said Littleton. “I spent four years here. I love being here. If it’s possible, it would be nice. If it’s not I understand.”
- Rams’ director of operations Bruce Warwick has been hired by Florida State University as their new Chief of Staff. (Lindsey Thiry)
- Tom Pelissero of NFL Media mentions that Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and special teams coordinator John Fassel are set to be free agents after the season.