Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians confirmed that C A.Q. Shipley suffered a career-ending neck injury and tests revealed the lineman “shouldn’t play anymore.”
“He had had what we thought was a stinger. He had had this injury back in 2013 I believe,” Arians said, via Jenna Laine of ESPN. “Once we did the MRI and X-rays, it was determined that he really shouldn’t play anymore.”
Arians said Shipley will now start his NFL coaching career.
“He’ll be going on IR and starting his coaching career,” said Arians. “He aspires to be a coach, and I think he’s gonna be a great one, so we’ll get him started to make sure he likes this life.”
Arians said his conversation with Shipley about his career was “really hard.”
“It’s really hard. It’s harder than releasing somebody or cutting somebody that’s a veteran that has finally hit the wall and doesn’t really know how to admit it. But to have an injury stop it so suddenly, it’s really hard on him, [and] it’s hard on me,” said Arians. “Still very, very lucky. He has all his mobility and can play with his kids for a long, long time.”
- Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians said LT Donovan Smith (ankle) will be a game-time decision for Week 12, while C A.Q. Shipley (neck) is out and G Ali Marpet (concussion) is questionable. (Greg Auman)
- OUT for Week 12: CB Jamel Dean (concussion), TE Tanner Hudson (not injury related), C A.Q. Shipley (neck)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 12: G Ali Marpet (concussion), T Donovan Smith (ankle)
- Panthers HC Matt Rhule said he is “pessimistic” about RB Christian McCaffrey‘s availability for Sunday’s game against the Vikings. (Joe Person)
- OUT for Week 12: G Dennis Daley (concussion)
- DOUBTFUL for Week 12: CB Donte Jackson (toe)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 12: S Sam Franklin (ankle), DE Marquis Haynes (shoulder), RB Christian McCaffrey (shoulder), G John Miller (knee, ankle), T Russell Okung (calf), LB Tahir Whitehead (rib), WR Brandon Zylstra (shoulder)
- Albert Breer of SI.com lists Saints VP/assistant GM-pro personnel Terry Fontenot as a name to watch in connection to GM opening during the offseason.
- OUT for Week 12: RB Ty Montgomery (hamstring), G Andrus Peat (concussion)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 12: WR Deonte Harris (neck)