The Bears made the decision on Tuesday to not exercise their 2018 team option on veteran G Josh Sitton, which means he’ll be an unrestricted free agent in the coming weeks.
Sitton tells Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune that he still plans to continue his career and feels as though he still has some “prime” years left in him.
“I am planning on playing and hitting free agency and continuing to play at a high level,” Sitton said. “I believe I have prime years left.”
Bears GM Ryan Pace met with Sitton on Tuesday to inform him of the club’s decision.
“We had a great conversation and we talked about how we enjoyed each other’s company and our time together, and it was a very positive conversation,” Sitton said of the conversation.
Jeff Dickerson runs through some potential roster cuts worth watching for the Bears in the coming weeks.
According to Dickerson, the names to keep an eye on include:
- QB Mike Glennon ($9 million savings)
- OLB Pernell McPhee ($7.075 million savings)
- WR Markus Wheaton ($5 million savings)
- S Quintin Demps ($3,260,416 savings)
- CB Marcus Cooper ($4.5 million savings)
- TE Dion Sims ($5,666,666 savings)
- OLB Willie Young ($4.5 million savings)
- Josina Anderson reports that Eagles RBs coach Duce Staley has received a promotion to assistant head coach, in addition to his current role with running backs.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery underwent successful surgery Wednesday morning to repair a torn rotator cuff that he had been playing through since training camp.
- Mike Garafolo reports that another name to watch as a possible owner for the Panthers’ franchise is Steelers minority owner and hedge fund manager David Tepper.
- Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer writes that the Panthers must build their receiving core around WR Devin Funchess, TE Greg Olson, and RB Christian McCaffery.
- Though Rodrigue says that Olson still could have two productive seasons left in him, South Dakota State’s Dallas Goedert could be a tight end prospect worth considering for the Panthers.
- As for possible free agent targets, Rodrigue lists Allen Robinson and Paul Richardson as players to watch.
- Some draft targets for the Panthers, according to Rodrigue, include Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, Maryland’s D.J. Moore, Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk, and Penn State’s Desean Hamilton.