- According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, the expectation around the NFL is there’s a good chance 49ers DL Arik Armstead receives the franchise tag.
- However, 49ers GM John Lynch says the team would prefer to work out a long-term deal: “We want to find a way to keep him and make him a part of the 49ers for a long time.” (Matt Maiocco)
- While the 49ers want to keep Sanders, Maiocco says there’s a chance another team offers more money and more years to lure him away.
- Maiocco mentions it appears that re-signing S Jimmie Ward is a priority for San Francisco.
- Maiocco lists DE Ronald Blair, C Ben Garland, TE Levine Toilolo, CB Dontae Johnson and DE Damontre Moore as veteran free agents who could be re-signed.
- Meanwhile, 49ers DT Sheldon Day played well enough that another team could give him a chance to start outside of San Francisco, per Maiocco.
- As for restricted free agents, Maiocco expects the 49ers to keep WR Kendrick Bourne and LB Elijah Lee, while RB Matt Breida could get an offer sheet from another team.
- 49ers WR Marquise Goodwin and RB Jerick McKinnon are likely cap cuts this offseason. (Gregg Rosenthal)
- 49ers RB Tevin Coleman would also be an option if San Francisco is desperate for space, as the 49ers have a number of quality running backs.
- 49ers C Weston Richburg said he anticipates being able to come back by training camp after tearing his patellar tendon in Week 14: “I’ll miss the offseason stuff but training camp should be a go.” (Jennifer Lee Chan)
Cardinals GM Steve Keim said in a radio interview on Friday that he’s “very optimistic” left tackle D.J. Humphries, who is scheduled to become a free agent, will be back with the team.
“I am very proud, not only of the way he played but also his maturation,” Keim said, via AzCardinals.com. “The way he has progressed as a worker, as a leader. … (Offensive line coach) Sean Kugler has been fantastic for that room. It certainly was the area of the most improvement for our football team was the offensive line. They stayed healthy, we ran the football effectively this year, and D.J. Humphries was a big reason for that.”
- The Seahawks are expected to hire Sanjay Lal as a coaching assistant on the offensive side of the ball. (Michael-Shawn Dugar)