- Jason Cole spoke to two NFL sources who said they were “slightly surprised” by Josh McDaniels‘ decision to pull out of the running for the 49ers’ head-coaching job.
- Cole’s sources believe McDaniels wants to be in a ready-made situation with a GM who has strong personnel skills.
- According to Cole, many around the league expect McDaniels to wait and see if Bill Belichick will consider retiring at some point or if the Lions or Titans eventually have a head-coaching job available, considering his ties to their GMs.
- In regards to the 49ers’ defensive coordinator position, Matt Maiocco hears that Falcons secondary coach Marquand Manuel is a name to watch.
- Adam Caplan reports former 49ers OC Curtis Modkins is expected to join the Bears’ coaching staff as their RBs coach.
- Adam Caplan reports that former Bills DL coach Jason Rebrovich is expected to interview with the Jaguars for a job on their defensive staff today.
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN predicts the Jaguars will not bring back TE Julius Thomas next year.
An NFL GM tells Jason Cole that while the Seahawks’ defense sustained some notable injuries this past year, the unit no longer scares teams the way it did a few years ago.
“They have some excuses. Bennett and Thomas were hurt for a lot of the year. I’ll give them that. But they don’t scare you the same way they did [in 2013],” the GM told Cole. “I remember watching Peyton [Manning] in that Super Bowl. He had no idea how to attack them. None. They took everything away. It was complete domination.”