- On Friday, a report surfaced that while the Broncos haven’t ruled out the possibility of adding Tony Romo, sources have told him that it’s “Texans or retirement” for Romo this year. (NFLTR)
- Troy Renck confirms that the Broncos “haven’t closed the door” on possibly pursuing Romo if the Cowboys release him at some point, but adds that Denver has “never made Romo a priority.”
- If Romo was the Broncos’ No. 1 priority, Renck believes they would have already traded a late-round pick for him instead of waiting for him to be released.
Michael Rothstein of ESPN recently took a look at some of the best available free agents who could make sense for the Lions.
- According to Rothstein, while DT Johnathan Hankins could be an upgrade for their defensive line, his asking price is likely too high for him to be an option.
- One interesting suggestion from Rothstein is former first-round pick WR Michael Floyd. The Lions could use a tall, possession receiver like Floyd and they have some of his teammates from Notre Dame currently on their roster in Golden Tate and Theo Riddick.
- Some low-cost fits for Detroit, according to Rothstein, include: CB Tramon Williams, WR Andrew Hawkins, WR Anquan Boldin, RB Brandon Bolden, LB Jon Bostic and S Sergio Brown.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a response letter to Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf expressing concerns that their latest proposal is not “clear and specific, actionable in a reasonable time frame, and free of major contingencies.”
“We have been prepared for nearly two years to work on finding a solution based on access to land at a certain cost, without constraints on the location of the stadium or timing of construction, and clarity on the overall development,” Goodell writes, via David Debolt of the East Bay Times.
“However, at this date, there remains no certainty regarding how the site will be fully developed, or the specific and contractually-defined nature of the participation by Fortress or other parties. In addition, the long-term nature of the commitment to the A’s remains a significant complication and the resolution of that issue remains unknown.
“Despite all of these efforts, ours and yours, we have not yet identified a viable solution. It is disappointing to me and our clubs to have come to that conclusion.”