Kaepernick’s 2016 base salary of $11.9 million becomes fully guaranteed on April 1.
If San Francisco is really looking to move on from Kaepernick, they would likely do so before the April 1 date, as waiting until after would shift leverage to Kaepernick in regards to a potential trade.
The Browns and Jets are reportedly out of the mix for Kaepernick, which really leaves a return to the 49ers and a possible trade to the Broncos as the two most realistic options for him.
- Tony Pauline reports that BYU OL Ryker Mathews, who is expected to be a late-round pick, met with the Lions after his Pro Day.
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins are “carefully studying” several potential concerns in the mix for them at No. 13 overall, including Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves, Ohio State CB Eli Apple and Clemson CB Mackensie Alexander.
- Jackson considers Mario Williams, Cameron Wake, and Andre Branch to be assured of roster spots while Chris McCain, Damontre Moore, Terrence Fede, Cleyon Laing and possibly Dion Jordan could be among those competing for roster spots.
- John McClain expects the Texans to sign “at least five” cheap free agents before the start of training camp.
- As for the draft, McClain lists a receiver with speed, offensive tackle, defensive end, safety, tight end, and center as their main positions of need.